One dead, six injured in train collision
Kolkata: One person was killed while six
others were injured Saturday when a local train hit a
stationary train at a platform in West Bengal`s Nadia
district, railway officials said.
The head-on collision took place when the Shantipur-
Sealdah local which was coming from the opposite direction hit
the stationary Sealdah-Shantipur local train waiting at the
number 2 platform of Fulia station.
Three coaches of the Shantipur-Sealdah local were
derailed after its driver "disregarded" the red signal
resulting in the collision, a railway spokesperson said.
An off-duty railway gateman who was travelling in the
other train was killed, officials said, adding its driver is
among the six injured.
A rescue operation has already begun at the local level
while a relief train from Kolkata has been rushed to the spot
with a medical team.
When contacted, Railway Minister Dinesh Trivedi told PTI
that a compensation of Rs 5 lakh will be given to the deceased
and Rs 50000 for those injured.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash