One dead, six injured in train collision
Kolkata: One person was killed while six
others were injured Saturday when a local train hit a
stationary train at a platform in West Bengal`s Nadia
district, railway officials said.
The head-on collision took place when the Shantipur-
Sealdah local which was coming from the opposite direction hit
the stationary Sealdah-Shantipur local train waiting at the
number 2 platform of Fulia station.
Three coaches of the Shantipur-Sealdah local were
derailed after its driver "disregarded" the red signal
resulting in the collision, a railway spokesperson said.
An off-duty railway gateman who was travelling in the
other train was killed, officials said, adding its driver is
among the six injured.
A rescue operation has already begun at the local level
while a relief train from Kolkata has been rushed to the spot
with a medical team.
When contacted, Railway Minister Dinesh Trivedi told PTI
that a compensation of Rs 5 lakh will be given to the deceased
and Rs 50000 for those injured.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read