One dead, six injured in train collision
Kolkata: One person was killed while six
others were injured Saturday when a local train hit a
stationary train at a platform in West Bengal`s Nadia
district, railway officials said.
The head-on collision took place when the Shantipur-
Sealdah local which was coming from the opposite direction hit
the stationary Sealdah-Shantipur local train waiting at the
number 2 platform of Fulia station.
Three coaches of the Shantipur-Sealdah local were
derailed after its driver "disregarded" the red signal
resulting in the collision, a railway spokesperson said.
An off-duty railway gateman who was travelling in the
other train was killed, officials said, adding its driver is
among the six injured.
A rescue operation has already begun at the local level
while a relief train from Kolkata has been rushed to the spot
with a medical team.
When contacted, Railway Minister Dinesh Trivedi told PTI
that a compensation of Rs 5 lakh will be given to the deceased
and Rs 50000 for those injured.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter