One floor of Surya Sen market building illegal: KMC
Kolkata: One floor of the five-storeyed building housing the Surya Sen market complex was found to be illegal by the Kolkata Municipal Corporation (KMC), a civic official said hours after a devastating fire ravaged it claiming 19 lives in the early hours on Wednesday.
"One floor of the G+4 structure was found to be illegally constructed," the official said.
There were trade licences for 136 shops in the market, he said.
City Mayor Sovan Chatterjee had said after a visit to the fire-ravaged market complex in Sealdah area that the KMC will inquire if any part of the building was illegally constructed.
KMC sources said the civic body had decided to make surprise checks of fire-fighting arrangements in all KMC markets and update the present system.
Security guards in such markets, they said, will be trained in fire-fighting operations.
Besides, KMC will make arrangements for installing CCTVs in all its 46 markets, particularly those located in congested areas, the sources added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof