One held for killing youth who protested sister`s abusers
Kolkata: A man was arrested on Thursday for being in a group that killed a youth because he protested their using abusive language against his sister in North 24-Parganas district, police said.
"Chandan Roy, 22, was arrested from his residence near Habra. He was a notorious criminal and was jailed on several occasions", North 24-Parganas Police Superintendent Rahul Srivastav said.
Rajib Das was severely beaten up by three men late on Monday night when he protested their misbehaviour against his elder sister Rinku Das. He died of his injuries on Tuesday.
"Chandan has confessed his involvement in the crime and also revealed the names of the other two accused. We are conducting raids to nab the duo". Srivastav said.
Chandan was arrested on Thursday afternoon. He will be presented before a local court Friday, he added.
"Based on the portraits of the miscreants sketched by the experts on descriptions given by Rinku, police arrested Chandan. Five other people, detained since Wednesday evening, claimed to have seen Chandan among the three miscreants while crossing the area Monday night", said Srivastav.
Earlier, a team of the state police`s Criminal Investigation Department (CID) visited the spot and met Rinku and her mother at Barasat police station. Raids were also being conducted in the area against illegal liquor and drug shops.
Chief Minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee met Director General of Police Naparajit Mukherjee, Kolkata Police Commissioner Gautam M. Chakraborti, Chief Secretary Samar Ghosh and Home Secretary GD Goutama at the state Secretariat Writers` Buildings.
Home Secretary Goutama said, "All the police personnel have been asked to respond immediately to people`s calls. Likewise, they have been asked to intensify night patrolling in important places and vital installations."
According to the locals, the incident took place around 11.30 pm. On Monday when Rajib and Rinku were returning home at Banikanthapur near Barasat.
As Rajib, who objected to the three men misbehaving with his siter, was attacked in the vicinity of bungalow of the additional superintendent of police of North 24-Parganas district, Rinku approached the policemen on duty there for help. But she was turned away.
She returned to find that her brother was stabbed.
"The district administration has submitted the report about the incident. But we are waiting for the CID and the DIG reports. After overseeing the reports, we will be able to comment whether there was negligence on the part of the district administration in reacting to the incident", he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India