One held for killing youth who protested sister`s abusers
Kolkata: A man was arrested on Thursday for being in a group that killed a youth because he protested their using abusive language against his sister in North 24-Parganas district, police said.
"Chandan Roy, 22, was arrested from his residence near Habra. He was a notorious criminal and was jailed on several occasions", North 24-Parganas Police Superintendent Rahul Srivastav said.
Rajib Das was severely beaten up by three men late on Monday night when he protested their misbehaviour against his elder sister Rinku Das. He died of his injuries on Tuesday.
"Chandan has confessed his involvement in the crime and also revealed the names of the other two accused. We are conducting raids to nab the duo". Srivastav said.
Chandan was arrested on Thursday afternoon. He will be presented before a local court Friday, he added.
"Based on the portraits of the miscreants sketched by the experts on descriptions given by Rinku, police arrested Chandan. Five other people, detained since Wednesday evening, claimed to have seen Chandan among the three miscreants while crossing the area Monday night", said Srivastav.
Earlier, a team of the state police`s Criminal Investigation Department (CID) visited the spot and met Rinku and her mother at Barasat police station. Raids were also being conducted in the area against illegal liquor and drug shops.
Chief Minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee met Director General of Police Naparajit Mukherjee, Kolkata Police Commissioner Gautam M. Chakraborti, Chief Secretary Samar Ghosh and Home Secretary GD Goutama at the state Secretariat Writers` Buildings.
Home Secretary Goutama said, "All the police personnel have been asked to respond immediately to people`s calls. Likewise, they have been asked to intensify night patrolling in important places and vital installations."
According to the locals, the incident took place around 11.30 pm. On Monday when Rajib and Rinku were returning home at Banikanthapur near Barasat.
As Rajib, who objected to the three men misbehaving with his siter, was attacked in the vicinity of bungalow of the additional superintendent of police of North 24-Parganas district, Rinku approached the policemen on duty there for help. But she was turned away.
She returned to find that her brother was stabbed.
"The district administration has submitted the report about the incident. But we are waiting for the CID and the DIG reports. After overseeing the reports, we will be able to comment whether there was negligence on the part of the district administration in reacting to the incident", he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information