One killed, 50 hurt in Bengal train accident
Kolkata: At least one person was killed
and 50 were injured when 11 bogies of Guwahati-Bengaluru
Express and a passenger train derailed after a collision this
evening at Jamirghata in West Bengal`s Malda district.
Malda GRP sources said one passenger was killed and 50
Railway spokesperson Anil Kumar Saxena said the body
of an elderly woman was found near the derailed engine of the
The accident occurred between Gour Malda and
Jamirghata stations in Malda division of Eastern Railway at
Two bogies and the engine of the Guwahati-Bengaluru
Express, which was on its way to the southern city, derailed
first and were hit by the Azimganj-Malda Town Passenger
leading to further derailment of bogies of both the trains,
Railway sources said.
While six coaches - three sleeper class, two parcel
and one luggage - and the engine of Guwahati-Bengaluru Express
derailed, three general bogies and the engine of the passenger
train also derailed, they said.
The passenger train was coming from the opposite
direction on the second line when the driver applied emergency
brakes after seeing the derailed coaches but could not stop it
from brushing the coaches.
The accident has affected train services on Malda
route with seven trains cancelled.
Helplines have been set up at Howrah (033-26411416),
Malda (03512-283444) and Rampurhat (03461-255131) rail
stations for the public.
Senior Eastern Railways officials are supervising
rescue operation at the scene.
Local villagers immediately came to the accident spot
and ferried the injured to clinics and hospitals.
Saptarshi Deb, a passenger on the Express train, said
that he came out of the emergency exit after the accident.
Deb said that he heard screams of trapped passengers
and saw some passengers with head injuries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter