One killed, 50 hurt in Bengal train accident
Kolkata: At least one person was killed
and 50 were injured when 11 bogies of Guwahati-Bengaluru
Express and a passenger train derailed after a collision this
evening at Jamirghata in West Bengal`s Malda district.
Malda GRP sources said one passenger was killed and 50
Railway spokesperson Anil Kumar Saxena said the body
of an elderly woman was found near the derailed engine of the
The accident occurred between Gour Malda and
Jamirghata stations in Malda division of Eastern Railway at
Two bogies and the engine of the Guwahati-Bengaluru
Express, which was on its way to the southern city, derailed
first and were hit by the Azimganj-Malda Town Passenger
leading to further derailment of bogies of both the trains,
Railway sources said.
While six coaches - three sleeper class, two parcel
and one luggage - and the engine of Guwahati-Bengaluru Express
derailed, three general bogies and the engine of the passenger
train also derailed, they said.
The passenger train was coming from the opposite
direction on the second line when the driver applied emergency
brakes after seeing the derailed coaches but could not stop it
from brushing the coaches.
The accident has affected train services on Malda
route with seven trains cancelled.
Helplines have been set up at Howrah (033-26411416),
Malda (03512-283444) and Rampurhat (03461-255131) rail
stations for the public.
Senior Eastern Railways officials are supervising
rescue operation at the scene.
Local villagers immediately came to the accident spot
and ferried the injured to clinics and hospitals.
Saptarshi Deb, a passenger on the Express train, said
that he came out of the emergency exit after the accident.
Deb said that he heard screams of trapped passengers
and saw some passengers with head injuries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion