One Maoist killed in gun battle with joint forces
Jhargram (WB): In a gun battle between
the joint security forces and Maoists inside a forest in West
Midnapore district on Wednesday, one ultra was killed, police said.
Personnel of the joint forces and policemen from
Belpahari police station raided forested areas of Talpukuria
and Madhupur, adjacent to Barikul area of neighbouring Bankura
district, where the Maoists had attacked two camps of security
personnel on January 25 killing one.
The sources said the raid followed a tip off that the
Maoists group involved in the attack in Barikul had taken
shelter in the forested area.
Seeing the securitymen, the Maoists started firing and
the men in uniform retaliated. After a three-hour gun battle,
the ultras managed to flee.
The body of one Maoist was found in the forest, the
sources said adding his body was taken to Belpahari.
Unconfirmed reports, however, put to the toll to two.
Meanwhile, a Bankura report said an IRB personnel,
Ajoy Pande, who had gone missing after the attack in the
camps, came to the Barikul police station this morning.
However, the police were tightlipped about what had
happened to him during and after the attack. He was being
It had been suspected that Pande was kidnapped by the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Actress Leslie Jones' website hacked, nude photos posted
- Afghan forces hunt gunmen after American University attack
- Islamic State attacks Western-backed camp on Jordan-Syria border
- Italy quake kills 159 as rescuers race to find survivors
- Syria launched chemical attacks, IS used mustard gas: UN report