One more arrested in Gyaneshwari Exp derailment
Kolkata: A pro-Maoist activist has been arrested for the sabotage that led to the Gyaneshwari Express train derailment in West Bengal last month killing 148 people, Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) sources said Saturday. This is the fourth arrest in the case.
Bholanath Mahato, an active member of Peoples` Committee Against Police Atrocities (PCAPA), was arrested from Khemasuli village near Jhargram in West Midnapore district, the sources said.
Mahato was allegedly involved in cutting open the pandrol clips (used to fix the rail to the sleeper) which resulted in the train`s derailment.
The Mumbai-bound Gyaneshwari Express derailed May 28 between Sardiha and Khemasuli stations and subsequently a freight train approaching from the opposite direction rammed into five derailed coaches, killing 148 people.
Following the incident, the state police`s Criminal Investigation Department (CID) initiated an inquiry, but later handed over the case to the CBI June 10.
While the CID nabbed two people -- Khagen Mahato and Samir Mahato, the CBI had arrested one suspect, Hiralal Mahato, for his alleged involvement in the case. But all the prime accused are still evading the arrest.
The CBI on Thursday declared a reward of Rs1 lakh each for anyone providing information about the three prime accused-- Umakant Mahato of Banksole village, Manoj alias Bapi Mahato of Rasua village and Asit Mahato of Krishnanagar village in West Midnapore district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan