Operation against Maoists to be intensified: CM
Kolkata: Resolving to counter the danger posed by the Maoists in the wake of the attack on a Mumbai-bound train in Jhargram, West Bengal Chief Minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee on Friday said operations against the Naxals would be intensified.
"The Maoists have done this work. Operation against them will be intensified and all out efforts be made to free the state and the country from this danger", he told reporters
The Chief Minister said it was a difficult job but "we will confront them".
Expressing strong resolve to counter the Maoist danger, Bhattacharjee said they had fought the naxals in the sixties and seventies and defeated them politically. They
again raised their heads from outside the state like Andhra Pradesh.
"We are opposing them politically and administratively", he said.
Asked whether there was any intelligence failure, he
said that they (Maoists) have given a call for `black day` and
accordingly police force was reorganised. "But we have no idea
that they will resort to such dastardly crime against innocent
people", he said.
Although the press meet was organised in the run up to
May 30 civic poll, Bhattacharjee said he would not like to
take any questions regarding any other (political) matters. A
minute`s silence was also observed in memory of those killed
in the incident.
The chief minister said that the state government and
the railways were working together to rescue the passengers.
The injured were admitted to hospitals in Midnapore and
Bhattacharjee said he would go to Kharagpur and
Midnapore while some ministers, including Finance Minister
Ashim Dasgupta, rushed to the spot.
DGP Bhupinder Singh, who also visited the site, was
looking into the incident, he said adding that probe was now
on to find out what happened.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Details out: What Rahul Gandhi did during his two-month-long sabbatical