Operation against Maoists to be intensified: CM
Kolkata: Resolving to counter the danger posed by the Maoists in the wake of the attack on a Mumbai-bound train in Jhargram, West Bengal Chief Minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee on Friday said operations against the Naxals would be intensified.
"The Maoists have done this work. Operation against them will be intensified and all out efforts be made to free the state and the country from this danger", he told reporters
The Chief Minister said it was a difficult job but "we will confront them".
Expressing strong resolve to counter the Maoist danger, Bhattacharjee said they had fought the naxals in the sixties and seventies and defeated them politically. They
again raised their heads from outside the state like Andhra Pradesh.
"We are opposing them politically and administratively", he said.
Asked whether there was any intelligence failure, he
said that they (Maoists) have given a call for `black day` and
accordingly police force was reorganised. "But we have no idea
that they will resort to such dastardly crime against innocent
people", he said.
Although the press meet was organised in the run up to
May 30 civic poll, Bhattacharjee said he would not like to
take any questions regarding any other (political) matters. A
minute`s silence was also observed in memory of those killed
in the incident.
The chief minister said that the state government and
the railways were working together to rescue the passengers.
The injured were admitted to hospitals in Midnapore and
Bhattacharjee said he would go to Kharagpur and
Midnapore while some ministers, including Finance Minister
Ashim Dasgupta, rushed to the spot.
DGP Bhupinder Singh, who also visited the site, was
looking into the incident, he said adding that probe was now
on to find out what happened.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- 'Mann ki Baat': World is keen to know more about India, says PM Modi
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- BJP can give even Dawood Ibrahim a clean chit: Digvijay Singh
- India likely to rest MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli for Zimbabwe tour
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- MEA declines information on Lalit Modi's passport issue, draws flak