Opposition parties claim police transfers violate EC code
Kolkata: Opposition political parties in West Bengal on Saturday claimed that the recent transfer of senior police officials, including Kolkata police chief RK Pachananda, was violative of the election code of conduct since by-polls were scheduled on February 23 in the state.
A Left Front delegation, led by CPI(M) state secretariat member Robin Deb, submitted a memorandum to Chief Electoral Officer Sunil Gupta. They alleged that the transfer of the senior police officials, following the killing of a police officer here, were in total violation of the EC code of conduct and done without its permission, prior to by-elections in three assembly constituencies.
"We want to know how the Home Secretary signed the paper of transfer without seeking permission from the Election Commission," Deb said after meeting Gupta.
He said that though the model code of conduct might not be applicable in the transfer of the police commissioner, the transfer of other top police officers, including ADG(IB), was a violation of the code of conduct.
Gupta could not be reached for comment.
WBPCC chief Pradip Bhattacharya said the Congress too held a similar view.
"Congress feels that there has been a violation of the EC code of conduct by the state government and we will send a memorandum to the Election Commission soon," he said.
BJP leader Tathagata Roy said his party held that the transfers, including that of ADG (Law and Order) Surojit Kar Purakayastha, was not legal so far as EC code of conduct was concerned.
"BJP will welcome a decision to be taken by the Election Commission," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!