Over 700 held for bursting prohibited sound crackers in Kolkata
Kolkata: Over 700 people were arrested from various parts of the city on Kali Puja night for bursting prohibited sound crackers and indulging in unruly behaviour.
771 people were arrested in night-long operations, which went on till this morning for bursting prohibited sound crackers like chocolate bombs and other fire crackers which exceed the decibel limit fixed by the authorities, Kolkata Police said.
"We have arrested 400 persons for bursting prohibited sound crackers. 331 others were arrested for unruly conduct in inebriated state," said an officer of the Kolkata Police.
The sound limit was fixed keeping in mind the problem noisy crackers posed for the old, ailing and the children.
Police have seized huge amount of fire crackers during drives in the past one week to contain use of prohibited sound crackers.
Besides opening special control rooms, both the state and city police also maintained a strict vigil to avert any untoward incident during the celebrations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why