Over 700 held for bursting prohibited sound crackers in Kolkata
Kolkata: Over 700 people were arrested from various parts of the city on Kali Puja night for bursting prohibited sound crackers and indulging in unruly behaviour.
771 people were arrested in night-long operations, which went on till this morning for bursting prohibited sound crackers like chocolate bombs and other fire crackers which exceed the decibel limit fixed by the authorities, Kolkata Police said.
"We have arrested 400 persons for bursting prohibited sound crackers. 331 others were arrested for unruly conduct in inebriated state," said an officer of the Kolkata Police.
The sound limit was fixed keeping in mind the problem noisy crackers posed for the old, ailing and the children.
Police have seized huge amount of fire crackers during drives in the past one week to contain use of prohibited sound crackers.
Besides opening special control rooms, both the state and city police also maintained a strict vigil to avert any untoward incident during the celebrations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- LIVE: Jayalalithaa's condition critical after suffering cardiac arrest, huge crowd gathers outside Apollo hospital
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender