Over 700 held for bursting prohibited sound crackers in Kolkata
Kolkata: Over 700 people were arrested from various parts of the city on Kali Puja night for bursting prohibited sound crackers and indulging in unruly behaviour.
771 people were arrested in night-long operations, which went on till this morning for bursting prohibited sound crackers like chocolate bombs and other fire crackers which exceed the decibel limit fixed by the authorities, Kolkata Police said.
"We have arrested 400 persons for bursting prohibited sound crackers. 331 others were arrested for unruly conduct in inebriated state," said an officer of the Kolkata Police.
The sound limit was fixed keeping in mind the problem noisy crackers posed for the old, ailing and the children.
Police have seized huge amount of fire crackers during drives in the past one week to contain use of prohibited sound crackers.
Besides opening special control rooms, both the state and city police also maintained a strict vigil to avert any untoward incident during the celebrations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!