Panchayat elections` timing may change: West Bengal poll panel
Kolkata: The West Bengal State Election Commission on Wednesday conceded the timing of the panchayat polls may change, but asserted that the elections will be held.
"The panchayat election will take place, only the timing may change," State Election Commissioner Mira Pande told mediapersons here.
Pande said the SEC only wanted to ensure adequate security personnel were available.
"Otherwise, how can we provide security to the electorate?" she asked.
Panchayat Minister Subrata Mukherjee said as the polling process had already started, he saw no reason why the elections would not be held.
"The polling process has started. Voting on postal ballots is on. The Supreme Court has also not given any stay. I see no reason for the elections not being held," Mukherjee said.
However, with the legal tussle between the government and the state poll panel reaching the Supreme Court, the minister smelt a conspiracy.
"It`s a conspiracy. Both the Congress and the CPI-M are involved as they do not want the elections," he said.
The state government has been locked in a legal tussle with the State Election Commission on the issue of ensuring adequate security personnel for the polls, slated to be held July 2, 6 and 9.
The SEC on Wednesday moved the Supreme Court, alleging the state government was dragging its feet over providing security forces despite being directed by the Calcutta High Court. The Supreme Court has issued notice to the central and West Bengal governments and posted the matter for hearing June 28.
The West Bengal government on Tuesday suggested a four-phase poll instead of three stages as notified earlier, but the state poll panel turned down the proposal in the Calcutta High Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Sleep apnea patients at glaucoma risk
- Unbelievable! Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' shatters Box Office, earns Rs 250 crore in India on Day 1?
- Audience don't judge stars with box office numbers: John Abraham
- 'Madaari' is outstanding, says Deepika Padukone
- Three Taliban commanders arrested in Afghanistan's Samangan province