Panchayat elections` timing may change: West Bengal poll panel
Kolkata: The West Bengal State Election Commission on Wednesday conceded the timing of the panchayat polls may change, but asserted that the elections will be held.
"The panchayat election will take place, only the timing may change," State Election Commissioner Mira Pande told mediapersons here.
Pande said the SEC only wanted to ensure adequate security personnel were available.
"Otherwise, how can we provide security to the electorate?" she asked.
Panchayat Minister Subrata Mukherjee said as the polling process had already started, he saw no reason why the elections would not be held.
"The polling process has started. Voting on postal ballots is on. The Supreme Court has also not given any stay. I see no reason for the elections not being held," Mukherjee said.
However, with the legal tussle between the government and the state poll panel reaching the Supreme Court, the minister smelt a conspiracy.
"It`s a conspiracy. Both the Congress and the CPI-M are involved as they do not want the elections," he said.
The state government has been locked in a legal tussle with the State Election Commission on the issue of ensuring adequate security personnel for the polls, slated to be held July 2, 6 and 9.
The SEC on Wednesday moved the Supreme Court, alleging the state government was dragging its feet over providing security forces despite being directed by the Calcutta High Court. The Supreme Court has issued notice to the central and West Bengal governments and posted the matter for hearing June 28.
The West Bengal government on Tuesday suggested a four-phase poll instead of three stages as notified earlier, but the state poll panel turned down the proposal in the Calcutta High Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you