Panchayat polls possible if SC gives direction on Friday: Subrata
Kolkata: The panchayat polls in West Bengal, scheduled to begin from July 2 was still possible if the Supreme Court before which the matter was gave a direction on Friday, state panchayat minister Subrata Mukherjee said on Thursday.
"The panchayat elections are still possible as per schedule, if the Supreme Court gives a direction on Friday," Mukherjee said.
"We have already placed all documents required by the apex court through our lawyers. We must abide by what the Supreme Court says," Mukherjee told reporters here.
On the question of security forces for the polls, Mukherjee reiterated that nowhere in the country were panchayat elections held with central para-military forces.
"If Centre is not in a position to provide us para-military forces, we have to conduct the election with our own available forces a process which has been followed in seven earlier panchayat elections in the state. But nobody raises these questions making news these days," he said.
"We still believe the panchayat elections are possible with available state forces," the minister said.
Stating that the terms of nearly 33 per cent panchayat bodies had expired, he said SDOs, BDOs and DMs have been asked to look after their administration and finances till the formation of new ones.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Jaya and Amitabh Bachchan living separately: Amar Singh makes shocking revelations