Panchayat polls: SC issues notice to centre, West Bengal
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Wednesday issued notice to the central and West Bengal governments on West Bengal State Election Commission`s (SEC) petition for adequate security for holding Panchayat Elections in the state.
The apex court bench headed by Justice AK Patnaik issued the notice after SEC counsel Meenakshi Arora told the court that the state government was dragging its feet in providing the security forces though directed by the Calcutta High Court by its May 14, 2013, order.
Directing that the matter be listed on June 28, the apex court said the central and West Bengal governments would appraise it as to how they propose to meet the deployment of the security forces mentioned by the May 14 order of the High Court.
The notice has also been issued to the chief secretary of West Bengal and the secretary of the state`s Ministry of Panchayat Raj.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living