Panchayat polls: SC issues notice to centre, West Bengal
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Wednesday issued notice to the central and West Bengal governments on West Bengal State Election Commission`s (SEC) petition for adequate security for holding Panchayat Elections in the state.
The apex court bench headed by Justice AK Patnaik issued the notice after SEC counsel Meenakshi Arora told the court that the state government was dragging its feet in providing the security forces though directed by the Calcutta High Court by its May 14, 2013, order.
Directing that the matter be listed on June 28, the apex court said the central and West Bengal governments would appraise it as to how they propose to meet the deployment of the security forces mentioned by the May 14 order of the High Court.
The notice has also been issued to the chief secretary of West Bengal and the secretary of the state`s Ministry of Panchayat Raj.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India