Park Street gang-rape case: Charges framed against three
Kolkata: Over a year after the incident, a fast-track court on Tuesday framed charges of gang-rape and criminal conspiracy against three accused in the controversial Park Street gang-rape case.
The court framed charges against Nishad Khan alias Ruman Khan, Naseer Khan and Sumit Bajaj, who are at present in judicial custody, for raping a woman on the night of February 5, 2012 at the up-market Park Street here.
Two other accused - Kadir Khan and Mohammed Ali are absconding.
The court framed charges of gang-rape, criminal conspiracy, voluntarily causing hurt, criminal intimidation and common intention against Nishad and Naseer, while Bajaj was chargesheeted for gang-rape and criminal conspiracy.
The victim, a 37-year-old single mother of two, was allegedly gang-raped at gun-point inside a moving car during the intervening night of February 5-6, 2012.
West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee courted controversy after she dubbed the allegation as "cooked-up to malign her government".
However, a police team led by then Joint Commissioner of Police (Crime) Damayanti Sen cracked the case and apprehended three of the accused. Sen was later transferred as DIG (training) to Barrackpore, a posting considered low-profile in police circles.
Earlier this year, the Supreme Court had denied bail to Bajaj and Nasser when they approached the apex court seeking the relief.
The trial in the case will begin on March 2.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter