Parl Committee to submit report by monsoon session
Kolkata: The chairman of Standing Committee on Personnel Public Grievances Law and Justice Shantaram Naik on Wednesday said its report would be submitted by the monsoon session of Parliament.
"We aim to submit our report by the monsoon session," Naik said after a review meeting here.
The committee is examining provisions of the Model Code of Conduct by Election Commission under the guise of Article-324 and a plethora of orders.
He said that whether powers of cancellation of registration of a political party even for small violation of the code should be under Representation of Peoples Act 1951 or not was also being examined by the committee.
The committee was also looking at the issue of applicability of time-frame of the model code of conduct and whether steps should be taken to reduce its enforcement for a limited period.
Naik said the committee was taking note of the anti-defection law in a coalition government and examining the recent decision of the Supreme Court that any citizen could seek disqualification of a MP or MLA on grounds of defection.
He said West Bengal could not give its views on these issues as it received the queries late and would send a reply soon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- #SelfieWithDaughter trends worldwide on Twitter after PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat'
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him