Partners Cong, TC file nomination for Siliguri Mayorship
Siliguri/Kokata: The dispute between
alliance partners Congress and Trinamool Congress in West
Bengal over the posts of mayor and chairman of Siliguri
Municipal Corporation (SMC) continued with both parties filing
nomination papers on the last day on Wednesday.
The dispute arose after both parties demanded the mayor`s
post as Congress and TC have 15 councillors each since an
Independent member extended support to the latter.
The Left Front has 17 members in the 47-member SMC
Meanwhile, the WBPCC expressed hope that the issue would
be resolved tonight.
"We hope that the dispute would be resolved tonight.
(Party leader) Deepa Dasmunshi is looking into the matter,"
WBPCC working president Pradip Bhattacharya said in
Asked whether the party was in touch with the Congress
high command, he said, "we are, but the dispute would have to
be resolved at the local level".
Congress Darjeeling district (plains) president Shankar
Malakar told PTI that the party`s claim was `justified` as it
had won 15 seats and TC 14.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof