Partners Cong, TC file nomination for Siliguri Mayorship
Siliguri/Kokata: The dispute between
alliance partners Congress and Trinamool Congress in West
Bengal over the posts of mayor and chairman of Siliguri
Municipal Corporation (SMC) continued with both parties filing
nomination papers on the last day on Wednesday.
The dispute arose after both parties demanded the mayor`s
post as Congress and TC have 15 councillors each since an
Independent member extended support to the latter.
The Left Front has 17 members in the 47-member SMC
Meanwhile, the WBPCC expressed hope that the issue would
be resolved tonight.
"We hope that the dispute would be resolved tonight.
(Party leader) Deepa Dasmunshi is looking into the matter,"
WBPCC working president Pradip Bhattacharya said in
Asked whether the party was in touch with the Congress
high command, he said, "we are, but the dispute would have to
be resolved at the local level".
Congress Darjeeling district (plains) president Shankar
Malakar told PTI that the party`s claim was `justified` as it
had won 15 seats and TC 14.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next