Passenger held at Kolkata airport for carrying pistol
Kolkata: A passenger was arrested at Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International Airport (NSCBIA) here on Friday evening for carrying a firearm and ammunition, police said.
Manoj Kumar Sharma, a resident of Patna, was travelling to Delhi on a Jet Airways flight. After he checked in and was undergoing the security check, the Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) personnel detected a pistol and some bullet-rounds while x-raying his baggage.
Sharma was detained and the pistol and ammunition were confiscated, said a CISF trooper.
"A pistol and 31 rounds of bullets were recovered from him. He was later handed over to the police and taken to airport police station for interrogation," the trooper said.
A senior police officer at the airport police station said: "He had confessed that the pistol was for his brother, who possesses an arms licence. He was carrying the pistol to purchase its ammunition."
"An investigation has been initiated," the officer said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi