Passengers thrown out of running train
Jalpaiguri (WB): Two passengers were killed and seven others injured on Sunday after being thrown out of a Bangalore-Guwahati train, railway sources said.
One of the passengers, who is now admitted to the district hospital, said they were looted, beaten up and then thrown out of the train by unknown persons.
Police found two bodies near Belakoba railway station, few km away from New Jalpaiguri, this morning while seven other persons were found lying injured near the tracks.
"The two had died on the spot. We do not know the reason behind the incident. We are investigating the matter," said New Jalpaiguri area manager (rail) Partho Sarthi Seal.
The injured have been admitted to the district hospital and the North Bengal Medical College Hospital.
Protesting against the incident, locals staged a rail blockade delaying many local trains and all Assam-bound express trains.
Later in the day, the blockade was lifted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj