PCAPA calls for boycott of Mamata`s rally in WB
Kolkata: The Maoist-backed Peoples Committee
Against Police Atrocities (PCAPA) today accused Trinamool
Congress chief Mamata Banerjee of "political opportunism" and
called on tribals to boycott her January 15 rally at Jhargram
in West Bengal`s West Midnapore district.
"She is coming here for politics of opportunism. She will
have to return from Jhargram empty-handed. This is our
challenge," PCAPA spokesman Asit Patra said.
Patra said Banerjee had once visited West Midnapore
during the tribal unrest without security, however, now she is
demanding deployment of army at Lalgarh. "The people will not
accept her stand," he said.
"Though Mamata is speaking against the CPI(M), she is
actually strengthening their hands by remaining silent about
the atrocities by the joint forces on innocent tribals,
particularly on women, during anti-Maoist operations in
Lalgarh," Patra said.
Meanwhile, TC secretary-general Partha Chatterjee said
that the rally would be held as scheduled.
"We oppose those who believe in guns and not democratic
norms," he said, adding that Trinamool Congress is opposed to
bloodshed and the "nexus" between Maoists and Marxists.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter