PCAPA members ransack houses in Jhargram
Kolkata: Suspected members of a pro-Maoist tribal organisation early Sunday ransacked a few houses near Jhargram town in West Midnapore district of West Bengal and fired shots in the air, police said.
Superintendent of Police Praveen Tripathi said that members of the People`s Committee Against Police Atrocities (PCAPA) were behind the incident that occurred 3 kilometres from Jhargram.
"PCAPA members ransacked some houses. We have unconfirmed reports that a few shots have been fired as we have recovered used cartridges from the spot," Tripathi said.
The PCAPA is considered a frontal organisation of the Maoists. Their posters were also recovered from the site of the accident of the Howrah-Kurla Gyaneshwari Express in which at least 150 people were killed and over 200 injured.
Jhargram is 155 km from Kolkata.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre