PCAPA members ransack houses in Jhargram
Kolkata: Suspected members of a pro-Maoist tribal organisation early Sunday ransacked a few houses near Jhargram town in West Midnapore district of West Bengal and fired shots in the air, police said.
Superintendent of Police Praveen Tripathi said that members of the People`s Committee Against Police Atrocities (PCAPA) were behind the incident that occurred 3 kilometres from Jhargram.
"PCAPA members ransacked some houses. We have unconfirmed reports that a few shots have been fired as we have recovered used cartridges from the spot," Tripathi said.
The PCAPA is considered a frontal organisation of the Maoists. Their posters were also recovered from the site of the accident of the Howrah-Kurla Gyaneshwari Express in which at least 150 people were killed and over 200 injured.
Jhargram is 155 km from Kolkata.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital
- Iranian Navy in `unsafe` intercept of US destroyer: Defense official
- PM Narendra Modi condemns attack on Kabul`s American University
- Italy earthquake kills 159 as rescuers race to find survivors