PCPA changes mind, to support Mamata`s rally at Lalgarh
Kolkata: The Maoist-backed People`s Committee
Against Police Atrocities (PCPA) today changed its stand and
extended support to the rally by Trinamool Congress chief
Mamata Banerjee at Lalgarh on August nine.
"This is not a political rally and many people like Swami
Agnivesh, Medha Patkar, who have protested against the
government`s oppressive policies and extended moral support to
our movement, will be present at the rally," PCPA`s new
secretary Manoj Mahato said from an undisclosed location.
"We are always against violence and for the last three
years we have been fighting the police and the government`s
atrocities on innocent tribals," Mahato claimed.
Asked why it changed its stand after it earlier said it
was against the event, he said it was because the programme
was not being held under a party banner and had the common
purpose to stop `oppression in jungle mahal`.
Questioned if PCPA leaders would be present on the dais
during the rally, he said those wanted by the police would not
be there. Others against whom there were no charges would be
Top Maoist leader Kishenji had also extended support to
the rally, welcoming the Trinamool Congress chief`s initiative
to stop violence.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!