PCPA changes mind, to support Mamata`s rally at Lalgarh
Kolkata: The Maoist-backed People`s Committee
Against Police Atrocities (PCPA) today changed its stand and
extended support to the rally by Trinamool Congress chief
Mamata Banerjee at Lalgarh on August nine.
"This is not a political rally and many people like Swami
Agnivesh, Medha Patkar, who have protested against the
government`s oppressive policies and extended moral support to
our movement, will be present at the rally," PCPA`s new
secretary Manoj Mahato said from an undisclosed location.
"We are always against violence and for the last three
years we have been fighting the police and the government`s
atrocities on innocent tribals," Mahato claimed.
Asked why it changed its stand after it earlier said it
was against the event, he said it was because the programme
was not being held under a party banner and had the common
purpose to stop `oppression in jungle mahal`.
Questioned if PCPA leaders would be present on the dais
during the rally, he said those wanted by the police would not
be there. Others against whom there were no charges would be
Top Maoist leader Kishenji had also extended support to
the rally, welcoming the Trinamool Congress chief`s initiative
to stop violence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!