Petition filed demanding cancellation of bail of G Kiran Kumar
Siliguri: A petition seeking bail granted to Malda District Magistrate Godala Kiran Kumar be cancelled was filed in a court here on Saturday.
Petitioners, Gobinda Lal Das and Akhil Biswas, petitioned the Siliguri Fast Track Court that bail granted to Kumar be cancelled as it was illegal.
Kumar was arrested by the Siliguri police on November 30 on graft charges, but was granted conditional bail.
The bail was granted after the prosecution said it did not require Kumar`s custody.
The district magistrate had been issued summons for questioning on alleged misappropriation of development funds, including sewerage, tender work and supply of CCTV cameras when he was CEO of Siliguri Jalpaiguri Development Authority between 2012-13 and subsequently arrested.
The arrest led to high drama in administrative circles with Chief Secretary Sanjay Mitra saying that the Siliguri Police Commissioner K Jayaraman had exceeded his brief by arresting Kumar as he neither informed the state government nor sought its approval.
Jayaraman was asked to relinquish charge as Siliguri police commissioner and report back to Kolkata.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?