Petition filed demanding cancellation of bail of G Kiran Kumar
Siliguri: A petition seeking bail granted to Malda District Magistrate Godala Kiran Kumar be cancelled was filed in a court here on Saturday.
Petitioners, Gobinda Lal Das and Akhil Biswas, petitioned the Siliguri Fast Track Court that bail granted to Kumar be cancelled as it was illegal.
Kumar was arrested by the Siliguri police on November 30 on graft charges, but was granted conditional bail.
The bail was granted after the prosecution said it did not require Kumar`s custody.
The district magistrate had been issued summons for questioning on alleged misappropriation of development funds, including sewerage, tender work and supply of CCTV cameras when he was CEO of Siliguri Jalpaiguri Development Authority between 2012-13 and subsequently arrested.
The arrest led to high drama in administrative circles with Chief Secretary Sanjay Mitra saying that the Siliguri Police Commissioner K Jayaraman had exceeded his brief by arresting Kumar as he neither informed the state government nor sought its approval.
Jayaraman was asked to relinquish charge as Siliguri police commissioner and report back to Kolkata.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference