Petrol hike: Mamata to take out march
Kolkata: The Centre on Friday came under mounting pressure from within the ruling UPA to roll back the petrol price hike with Trinamool leader and West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee planning a protest march and DMK and outside supporter Samajwadi Party announcing agitation plans.
The protest action by the key UPA allies Trinamool and DMK and Samajwadi are expected to lend weight to a united opposition onslaught against the Rs 7.54/litre hike with the BJP-led NDA and the Left already announcing an all India bandh on May 31.
DMK announced it will hold agitations in Tamil Nadu on May 30 while Samajwadi called for a state-wide bandh in Uttar Pradesh the next day.
Joining the growing political opposition to the hike, the ruling BJD in Odisha also gave a call for a state-wide bandh on May 31 to demand an immediate rollback.
Banerjee would lead the procession tomorrow from Jadavpore to Hazra crossing, covering a distance of 5 km in south Kolkata, Panchayat minister Subrata Mukherjee told agencies in Kolkata.
"It will be a major voice of protest against the petrol price hike," Mukherjee said.
Union Railway Minister Mukul Roy led the Trinamool protest march with other party leaders and state ministers on Thursday in Kolkata to demand a rollback.
Announcing DMK`s protest plans on May 30, the party said in a release that it would stage peaceful demonstrations in front of the central government offices and district collectorates at all district headquarters in Tamil Nadu.
"DMK cannot remain ignorant of people`s issues" though it is a UPA constituent," party supremo and former chief minister M Karunanidhi said in Chennai.
SP spokesman Rajendra Chowdury said the party`s state executive meeting chaired by party supremo Mulayam Singh Yadav in Lucknow decided to hold a state-wide bandh on May 31 to roll back petrol price hike.
In Bhubaneswar, BJD general secretary Narendra Swain said the ruling party has decided to observe a shut-down across the state on May 31.
Anna Hazare also announced support for the Bharat Bandh, saying his supporters will participate in the stir.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!