Photo suggests `Gumnami Baba` could have been Netaji: Book
Kolkata: Throwing light into the mystery surrounding the disappearance of Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose, a book has come up with an archival photograph suggesting that a secretive holy man who died in Faizabad in 1985 could have been the nationalist leader living a life of disguise.
Found from the archives of international news agency Associated Press (AP), the 1969 picture produced in the book "India`s Biggest Cover-up" by researcher Anuj Dhar shows a Bose look-alike standing besides the Vietnamese delegation in Paris during truce talks with the US.
Intriguingly, the holy man "Bhagwanji", also known as "Gumnami Baba", had told his followers that he was present during the talks, says the book.
"This could be a picture of the `Baba` and he could have been Netaji," Dhar told a news agency.
The Mukherjee Commission, which had probed into the uncanny resemblance of the holy man with Bose, had rejected the opinion that he died in a plane crash in Taiwan on August 18, 1945.
Even Suresh Bose, one of the older brothers of Netaji and a member of the Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose Inquiry Committee, had stated on oath before his death in 1972 that his brother was alive at the time.
The rare black and white photograph shows the Vietnamese delegation led by their Nobel laureate leader Le Duc Tho at the first open session of the truce negotiations with an American delegation.
Clearly resembling Bose with his overall contour, a bearded man with an intense look on his face is standing alongside expressionless journalists and other officials behind the Vietnamese delegation.
"Much of his face is covered with moustache, beard and big-framed glasses. It is unusual for diplomats and southeast Asians to sport beards like this," Dhar writes in the book suggesting that he could be Bose.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Sunil Grover responds to Kapil Sharma’s ‘sorry’ tweet, says ‘don’t act like a God’
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what