PM assures central assistance to WB: Congress
Kolkata: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Sunday assured that the Centre would provide necessary assistance to West Bengal for its development.
"Prime Minister has assured a delegation of Pradesh Congress that the Centre will provide the assistance required for the development of West Bengal at a time when the state is reeling under acute financial crisis," Congress leader and state`s Irrigation Minister Manas Bhuinya told reporters.
A delegation of Congress MPs, MLAs and state leaders called on the Prime Minister at Raj Bhavan this evening.
Bhuinya said the delegation urged Singh to increase the allocation under different heads to the state.
"We told him that the previous Left Front government did nothing to prevent recurrence of floods in last 34 years," he said, adding that the state irrigation department and Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee would send reports to the Centre about the extent of damage and loss due to the floods.
AICC general secretary Shakeel Ahmed said the Prime Minister had assured the delegation that a central team might be sent to the state, if necessary, to gauge the extent of damage due to floods.
"On the basis of the team`s suggestion, possible central assistance will be given," he quoted the Prime Minister as having assured the delegation.
Ahmed said the delegation informed the Prime Minister that more central funds were required to manage the collapsed economy of the state reeling under a huge debt burden. "The chief minister finds it difficult to manage affairs of the state`s economy."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city