PM breaks silence, hits out at sensationalism
Kolkata: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Saturday warned against "growing intolerance" among Indians and said public debate seemed to have become a "hostage to sensationalism".
"In recent times, I have been observing a growing intolerance among our people of dissent and opinions that contradict the prevailing orthodoxy," the Prime Minister said here.
"Public debate is often hostage to sensationalism," PM said.
Manmohan Singh said this in a speech after being named General President of the Indian Science Congress Association (ISCA).
"We seem to be losing ability to engage in a rational discourse where different points of views are expressed," he added.
"I sometimes fear that a growing culture of narrow mindedness might affect the creative, innovative and imaginative instincts of our youth," he said.
"I urge the doyens of the scientific community to speak out and make more effective contributions to an informed and reasoned debate on the issues before the nation. The voice of our scientists is important and should be heard."
Manmohan Singh emphasised the need to use science as the means to fuel the country`s development.
"The burden on science in the future will only increase. Our problems are overwhelming and need scientific solutions.
"We have to use our abundant intellectual resources to find new pathways of development that use our scarce natural resources judiciously," he said.
The ISCA is marking its centenary year celebrations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says