PM finishing off `aam admi`: Mamata Banerjee
Kolkata: Taking a jibe at Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Friday wondered whether the "power of (the) chair" was being misused to finish off the "aam aadmi (common people)".
"I want to ask - what is the definition of aam aadmi? What is the definition of democracy," Banerjee asked in a fresh post on Facebook.
"Is it not becoming clear that use of the name of aam aadmi, and misuse of power of chair, is to finish aam aadmi? Is it the game plan," she asked.
Banerjee`s comments came hours after the Prime Minister asserted that his government was voted to office twice to protect the interests of the common man.
"No government likes to impose burdens on the common man. Our government has been voted to office twice to protect the interests of the aam aadmi," Manmohan Singh said in a rare televised address to the nation at prime time on public broadcaster Doordarshan.
In the address, he defended economic reforms, saying they were in the national interest and "hard decisions" will be pursued with people`s support, despite political opposition.
Miffed by the Congress-led United Progressive Alliance government`s decisions over hike in diesel price and foreign investment in multi-brand retail, the Trinamool earlier Friday withdrew support to the ruling coalition at the centre.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next