Police denies BJP claim of lathicharge on party workers
Kolkata: The BJP today claimed that 14 of
its activists were injured in police lathicharge during a
demonstration protesting the tariff hike by private power
utility CESC Ltd, which the police denied.
"The police lathicharged on a peaceful demonstration by
our workers leaving 14 of them injured," BJP state president
Rahul Sinha said.
The police, however, denied any such action by its
personnel and said unruly BJP workers had broken the barricade
and resorted to unprovoked brickbatting on the force stationed
"The activists were only chased away using lathis and no
one was lathicharged," a police official said.
Nine BJP activists were arrested in this connection, the
Sinha said in protest against the alleged lathicharge, a
`black day` would be observed by BJP workers throughout West
He also said BJP workers would hold demonstrations on
September 9 in front of all tariff collection centres of CESC
against the tariff hike.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists?
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part II
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part III
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part IV
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families?
- AAP MLA Amanatullah Khan gets bail
- Merkel 'firmly' rejects reversing refugee policy after attacks
- Delhi government schools to hold first-ever parents-teachers meeting
- Faircent acclaimed ‘Interbrand Breakthrough Brand in Finance’ by Interbrand
- No concrete evidence on missing AN-32, says Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar