Police denies BJP claim of lathicharge on party workers
Kolkata: The BJP today claimed that 14 of
its activists were injured in police lathicharge during a
demonstration protesting the tariff hike by private power
utility CESC Ltd, which the police denied.
"The police lathicharged on a peaceful demonstration by
our workers leaving 14 of them injured," BJP state president
Rahul Sinha said.
The police, however, denied any such action by its
personnel and said unruly BJP workers had broken the barricade
and resorted to unprovoked brickbatting on the force stationed
"The activists were only chased away using lathis and no
one was lathicharged," a police official said.
Nine BJP activists were arrested in this connection, the
Sinha said in protest against the alleged lathicharge, a
`black day` would be observed by BJP workers throughout West
He also said BJP workers would hold demonstrations on
September 9 in front of all tariff collection centres of CESC
against the tariff hike.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog