Police denies BJP claim of lathicharge on party workers
Kolkata: The BJP today claimed that 14 of
its activists were injured in police lathicharge during a
demonstration protesting the tariff hike by private power
utility CESC Ltd, which the police denied.
"The police lathicharged on a peaceful demonstration by
our workers leaving 14 of them injured," BJP state president
Rahul Sinha said.
The police, however, denied any such action by its
personnel and said unruly BJP workers had broken the barricade
and resorted to unprovoked brickbatting on the force stationed
"The activists were only chased away using lathis and no
one was lathicharged," a police official said.
Nine BJP activists were arrested in this connection, the
Sinha said in protest against the alleged lathicharge, a
`black day` would be observed by BJP workers throughout West
He also said BJP workers would hold demonstrations on
September 9 in front of all tariff collection centres of CESC
against the tariff hike.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town