Police officer arrested in Short Street firing case
Kolkata: A Kolkata Police Sub-Inspector Noor Ali, who was earlier posted in Shakespeare Sarani police station, was on Friday arrested by the city police because of his alleged involvement in the `conspiracy` to evict occupant of a land over Short Street, barely a few yards from the city Police Commissioner`s official residence.
City police sources said that the arrest was made on the basis of an interrogation to a lawyer S Riaz, who was arrested earlier.
During interrogation Riaz told police that Ali was paid Rs 30 lakh to settle the matter.
Ali, who was already shifted from the Shakespeare Sarani police station, was today summoned to the city police Headquaters at Lalbazar and was arrested.
Two persons were shot dead and another seriously injured after the occupant of a disputed property opened fire on other claimants at Short Street on November 11.
The situation turned violent as the occupant Mamata Agarwal, who runs a Montessori school at the disputed site, along with one of her security guards, fired on a group of people belonging to the rival claimant, who came that day with their lawyer to take possession of the property.
Soon after they entered the site, Agarwal and one of her associates opened fire killing two persons and seriously injuring another one, police said.
Joint Commissioner of Police (Crime) Pallab Kanti Ghosh earlier said, a group of about 16 people representing Active Security Agency and comprising of some security guards, bouncers and women rushed to the disputed site along with their lawyer to take possession of about 17 kothas of land.
Since long there was a rivalry between the occupant and another claimant of the property, he said, adding the police were investigating into the incident.
About 18 persons were arrested in this connection so far and two arms were seized, sources said adding that Ali would be produced before a city court tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town