Police officials speak to family members of Aminul
Kolkata: Kolkata Police officials today met the family of Mir Aminul Islam, a young man who set himself ablaze last month alleging harassment by the police and died of his injuries on January one.
Joint Commissioner R Tripurari, DCP (enforcement branch) Debabrata Das and officer-in-charge of Karaya police station spoke to the family of Islam for about one-and-a-half hours, but refused to divulge details to reporters about the talks.
Islam had immolated himself before the police station on December three last year in protest against alleged police inaction on the rape of a minor girl and his harassment after he took the victim for filing a complaint against the alleged rapist Shahajada Bux.
Aminul`s friend, who was also present with the family during the meeting, told reporters later that the police recorded statements of six people, including the the rape victim.
"The police officers took written statements of the minor girl, Aminul`s parents, brother Anwar and I on how they were terrorised on filing the complaint," the friend said.
"We told them that if the police had taken action earlier, Aminul would have been alive. They said the accused would be severely punished but we are not convinced unless we see real action," he added.
Meanwhile, the BJP condemned the alleged police inaction and demanded a CBI inquiry into the incident.
Yesterday, the Kolkata Police relieved three policemen from duty at the Karaya police station for allegedly harassing Aminul.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Zee Media Exclusive: In conversation with BJP President Amit Shah
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'