Police officials speak to family members of Aminul
Kolkata: Kolkata Police officials today met the family of Mir Aminul Islam, a young man who set himself ablaze last month alleging harassment by the police and died of his injuries on January one.
Joint Commissioner R Tripurari, DCP (enforcement branch) Debabrata Das and officer-in-charge of Karaya police station spoke to the family of Islam for about one-and-a-half hours, but refused to divulge details to reporters about the talks.
Islam had immolated himself before the police station on December three last year in protest against alleged police inaction on the rape of a minor girl and his harassment after he took the victim for filing a complaint against the alleged rapist Shahajada Bux.
Aminul`s friend, who was also present with the family during the meeting, told reporters later that the police recorded statements of six people, including the the rape victim.
"The police officers took written statements of the minor girl, Aminul`s parents, brother Anwar and I on how they were terrorised on filing the complaint," the friend said.
"We told them that if the police had taken action earlier, Aminul would have been alive. They said the accused would be severely punished but we are not convinced unless we see real action," he added.
Meanwhile, the BJP condemned the alleged police inaction and demanded a CBI inquiry into the incident.
Yesterday, the Kolkata Police relieved three policemen from duty at the Karaya police station for allegedly harassing Aminul.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far