Police remand for accused in Barasat eve teasing incident
Barasat (WB): An accused in the murder of
16-year-old Rajib Das who was trying to save his sister from
being molested by drunken youths was remanded to police
custody for 14 days by a court in North 24 Parganas district
No lawyer appeared for Chandan Roy who was produced
before Chief Judicial Magistrate of Barasat, Sumitra Roy,
while various organisations staged protests outside the court
during the day against the Monday night incident.
Lawyers practising in the court had earlier decided
that they would not represent Roy.
Apprehending protests, police had taken Roy to court
at 7 AM, police sources said.
Roy was arrested from his hide-out at Habra in
North 24-Parganas district yesterday. He had been arrested
earlier on charges of robbery and drug peddling.
It is alleged that Roy is one of the three drunken
youths who had stabbed to death Rajib Das who tried to resist
their bid to molest his elder sister Rinku in the intervening
night of Monday and Tuesday in a VIP zone in this district
Residences of the district magistrate, superintendent
of police and additional superintendent of police were close
to the spot where Rajib was attacked.
The youth, who was due to appear in this year`s
secondary examination, was repeatedly kicked and punched
before being stabbed. Rinku had pleaded with the policemen
guarding the VIP residences to help save his brother from the
goons but none came forward.
Rajib was left bleeding on the street at a spot, 400
metres away from the DM`s bungalow. He was first taken to
Barasat Hospital by passers-by and was later shifted to R G
Kar Hospital in Kolkata where he died.
Faced with a massive public outcry, the state
government had asked the state CID to probe Rajib`s killing.
Chief Minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee and other political
leaders visited Rajib`s house.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees