Police remand for accused in Barasat eve teasing incident
Barasat (WB): An accused in the murder of
16-year-old Rajib Das who was trying to save his sister from
being molested by drunken youths was remanded to police
custody for 14 days by a court in North 24 Parganas district
No lawyer appeared for Chandan Roy who was produced
before Chief Judicial Magistrate of Barasat, Sumitra Roy,
while various organisations staged protests outside the court
during the day against the Monday night incident.
Lawyers practising in the court had earlier decided
that they would not represent Roy.
Apprehending protests, police had taken Roy to court
at 7 AM, police sources said.
Roy was arrested from his hide-out at Habra in
North 24-Parganas district yesterday. He had been arrested
earlier on charges of robbery and drug peddling.
It is alleged that Roy is one of the three drunken
youths who had stabbed to death Rajib Das who tried to resist
their bid to molest his elder sister Rinku in the intervening
night of Monday and Tuesday in a VIP zone in this district
Residences of the district magistrate, superintendent
of police and additional superintendent of police were close
to the spot where Rajib was attacked.
The youth, who was due to appear in this year`s
secondary examination, was repeatedly kicked and punched
before being stabbed. Rinku had pleaded with the policemen
guarding the VIP residences to help save his brother from the
goons but none came forward.
Rajib was left bleeding on the street at a spot, 400
metres away from the DM`s bungalow. He was first taken to
Barasat Hospital by passers-by and was later shifted to R G
Kar Hospital in Kolkata where he died.
Faced with a massive public outcry, the state
government had asked the state CID to probe Rajib`s killing.
Chief Minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee and other political
leaders visited Rajib`s house.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'