Police remand for arrested Trinamool activists
Midnapore: A local court on Tuesday remanded the two inmates of a Trinamool-run relief camp, arrested for having links with Maoists, in two days of police custody.
Amiya Mahato and Asim Mahato, who were slapped with charges of conspiracy and others under the Arms Act, were produced in the court of Midnapore chief judicial magistrate N N Dasgupta who remanded them in police custody.
Trinamool Congress observed a `black day` in the town and took out protest-processions to condemn the police baton charge in which 26 people, including five journalists, were injured, hours after the joint forces arrested the two activists yesterday.
The relief camp, being run by Trinamool Congress, is located inside a municipality guest house `Rajiv Gandhi Puro Niloy` here at Midnapore town.
Police alleged that both Asim and Amiya had a hand in the Maoist attack on a camp of the Eastern Frontier Rifles at Silda, near here, on February 15, 2010 in which 24 jawans were killed.
Alleging arbitrary action of the joint forces, Trinamool Congress activists blocked the station road in the town, stalling traffic movement for hours and denied the police charge that the two persons were connected to Maoists.
Chief Minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee expressed regret at the assault of scribes and ordered an inquiry, but said that the incident proved the charge about a Trinamool Congress-Maoist nexus.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested