Police remand of six AMRI directors extended
Kolkata: A city court on Tuesday extended the
police remand of six arrested directors of AMRI hospital,
where 93 persons choked to death in a devastating fire, by
three days on a plea by the Kolkata Police.
Chief Judicial Magistrate of the Alipur court SM
Shahnawaz extended the remand of RS Goenka, SK Todi,
Prashant Goenka, Manish Goenka, Ravi Todi and Dayanand Agarwal
in police custody till December 23, when they will be produced
before the court again.
A number of people gathered outside the court shouted
slogans against the accused as they were being led into the
court lock-up from a police vehicle.
Tight security arrangement was made to prevent any
Another AMRI director RS Agarwal, who was undergoing
treatment at a private hospital, was produced before the court
yesterday after a team of government doctors had declared him
fit on Sunday.
But when he was produced, he pleaded severe illness,
after which the CJM sent him to state-run SSKM Hospital and
directed the hospital authorities to file a report on his
All the accused have been charged with culpable
homicide not amounting to murder and negligence.
Trinamool Congress MP and lawyer Kalyan Banerjee, who
is pleading for the prosecution as a special public
prosecutor, today prayed for extension of police remand of the
six directors stating that they need to be further examined by
officers of the detective department of Kolkata Police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling