Police starts probe into mysterious death of TMC activist
Kolkata: The police has started a probe into the mysterious death of a 32-year-old Trinamool Congress activist who was found hanging in her rented apartment at Rajarhat on the outskirts of the city on Tuesday night.
Piyali Mukherjee, who had studied law in her home town Burdwan where she was a leader of the Trinamool Congress Chhatra Parishad, was staying alone in the flat, having shifted to the city over a year ago, the police said.
Piyali, who was allegedly close to a state minister, was practising at a city court for the past three/four months while her husband and six-year-old daughter were staying in Burdwan, the sources said.
The police found a suicide note at her room from which it appeared that she had been suffering from depression.
"We are investigating the case. We are waiting for the postmortem report. But from the prima face evidence it seems it is a suicide. But we are investigating all angles," Rajeev Kumar, police commissioner, Bidhan Nagar commissionerate, said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon