Political parties condemn gang-rape tribal girl
Kolkata: The gang-rape of a tribal girl allegedly on the orders of a khap panchayat in Birbhum district on January 21 was condemned on Thursday by political parties cutting across the party lines.
Ruling Trinamool Congress MP Derek O`Brien tweeted, "Awoke to a terrible news of a young tribal girl gang-raped on Khap orders in Birbhum. 10 `beasts` swiftly rounded up. Social malaise; must change."
Stating that the police and administration did not sit idle and 13 of the accused were immediately arrested, President of TMC, Birbhum district, Anubrata Mondol, said the perpetrators should be given strong punishment.
CPI(M) central committee member Mohammed Salim said "What has happened is barbaric, savage and uncivilised. Such incidents are unexpected in Bengal."
He alleged that incidents of rape had increased in the state as the police were not taking proper steps when such cases were reported and the perpetrators went scot free.
State Congress President Pradip Bhattacharya said "We are going back to 16th century. This is unprecedented and unacceptable. The state government should take steps to control such incidents."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Saudi prince Turki Bin Saud Al-Kabir executed for murder in rare case
- Man divorces wife after seeing her first time without make-up!
- China's state media calls LeT 'Pak-based military group', downplays boycott call of Chinese goods in Indian markets
- India can only 'bark', its products can't compete: Chinese state media