Political parties condemn gang-rape tribal girl
Kolkata: The gang-rape of a tribal girl allegedly on the orders of a khap panchayat in Birbhum district on January 21 was condemned on Thursday by political parties cutting across the party lines.
Ruling Trinamool Congress MP Derek O`Brien tweeted, "Awoke to a terrible news of a young tribal girl gang-raped on Khap orders in Birbhum. 10 `beasts` swiftly rounded up. Social malaise; must change."
Stating that the police and administration did not sit idle and 13 of the accused were immediately arrested, President of TMC, Birbhum district, Anubrata Mondol, said the perpetrators should be given strong punishment.
CPI(M) central committee member Mohammed Salim said "What has happened is barbaric, savage and uncivilised. Such incidents are unexpected in Bengal."
He alleged that incidents of rape had increased in the state as the police were not taking proper steps when such cases were reported and the perpetrators went scot free.
State Congress President Pradip Bhattacharya said "We are going back to 16th century. This is unprecedented and unacceptable. The state government should take steps to control such incidents."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ganga river crosses danger mark in UP, Bihar and West Bengal
- NDMC issues notices to President's Estate for mosquito breeding
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- Railways offer bedroll for sleeper, unreserved passengers
- There's nothing wrong in Oppn leaders meeting PM Modi: J&K Mehbooba Mufti
- 'India wants to be friends, but Pakistan, China have sin in their minds'
- UK report recommends special prison units for Islamist extremists
- My career all but over if ban not reviewed: Narsingh Yadav