Political parties condemn gang-rape tribal girl
Kolkata: The gang-rape of a tribal girl allegedly on the orders of a khap panchayat in Birbhum district on January 21 was condemned on Thursday by political parties cutting across the party lines.
Ruling Trinamool Congress MP Derek O`Brien tweeted, "Awoke to a terrible news of a young tribal girl gang-raped on Khap orders in Birbhum. 10 `beasts` swiftly rounded up. Social malaise; must change."
Stating that the police and administration did not sit idle and 13 of the accused were immediately arrested, President of TMC, Birbhum district, Anubrata Mondol, said the perpetrators should be given strong punishment.
CPI(M) central committee member Mohammed Salim said "What has happened is barbaric, savage and uncivilised. Such incidents are unexpected in Bengal."
He alleged that incidents of rape had increased in the state as the police were not taking proper steps when such cases were reported and the perpetrators went scot free.
State Congress President Pradip Bhattacharya said "We are going back to 16th century. This is unprecedented and unacceptable. The state government should take steps to control such incidents."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown