Poll panel receives complaints against Pranab`s son, Mamata
Kolkata: The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Monday lodged a complaint with West Bengal Chief Electoral Officer (CEO) Sunil Gupta accusing union Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee`s son of taking undue advantage from the Steel Authority of India Ltd (SAIL) by taking voluntary retirement instead of resigning his post to join the Congress.
"The BJP`s West Bengal vice president Rajesh Kumar Singh complained that Abhijeet Mukherjee has taken undue advantage from SAIL by taking voluntary retirement although it was not offered by the company," said Additional CEO N.K. Sahana.
Abhijeet Mukherjee quit the Steel Authority of India as general manager a few days back. He is likely to be the Congress party`s candidate from Birbhum in the West Bengal assembly elections.
Sahana said another complaint has been received at the CEO`s office against Railway Minister and Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee that she had violated the model code of conduct by announcing several schemes in the Rajya Sabha.
"We have forwarded both the complaints to the Election Commission`s office in Delhi," Sahana said.
"An all-party meeting has been convened by the CEO with the representatives of all political parties and the officials of the West Bengal Pollution Control Board (WBPCB)," he said.
"In the meeting, the political parties will be briefed about the green guidelines prepared by the WBPCB and they will be urged to follow it," he added.
Sahana also confirmed that the full bench of the Election Commission will arrive in the state March 22 night.
"The full bench would meet representatives of political parties, district magistrates and police superintendents, besides state Home Secretary G.D. Gautama and Chief Secretary Samar Ghosh to review poll preparedness on March 23," said Sahana.
As demanded by various political parties, the EC may allow the candidates to appoint expenditure agents to access their bank account.
The six-phase assembly polls will be held in West Bengal from April 18 to May 10.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing