Poll panel receives complaints against Pranab`s son, Mamata
Kolkata: The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Monday lodged a complaint with West Bengal Chief Electoral Officer (CEO) Sunil Gupta accusing union Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee`s son of taking undue advantage from the Steel Authority of India Ltd (SAIL) by taking voluntary retirement instead of resigning his post to join the Congress.
"The BJP`s West Bengal vice president Rajesh Kumar Singh complained that Abhijeet Mukherjee has taken undue advantage from SAIL by taking voluntary retirement although it was not offered by the company," said Additional CEO N.K. Sahana.
Abhijeet Mukherjee quit the Steel Authority of India as general manager a few days back. He is likely to be the Congress party`s candidate from Birbhum in the West Bengal assembly elections.
Sahana said another complaint has been received at the CEO`s office against Railway Minister and Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee that she had violated the model code of conduct by announcing several schemes in the Rajya Sabha.
"We have forwarded both the complaints to the Election Commission`s office in Delhi," Sahana said.
"An all-party meeting has been convened by the CEO with the representatives of all political parties and the officials of the West Bengal Pollution Control Board (WBPCB)," he said.
"In the meeting, the political parties will be briefed about the green guidelines prepared by the WBPCB and they will be urged to follow it," he added.
Sahana also confirmed that the full bench of the Election Commission will arrive in the state March 22 night.
"The full bench would meet representatives of political parties, district magistrates and police superintendents, besides state Home Secretary G.D. Gautama and Chief Secretary Samar Ghosh to review poll preparedness on March 23," said Sahana.
As demanded by various political parties, the EC may allow the candidates to appoint expenditure agents to access their bank account.
The six-phase assembly polls will be held in West Bengal from April 18 to May 10.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP protests against BSP over 'foul language' used for Dayashankar Singh's daughter
- DNA: Analyzing the complete aspect of UNCIP's resolution on Kashmir
- Rajnath Singh arrives in Kashmir, meets civil society delegation
- Nawaz Sharif's dream of making Kashmir a terror hell will never come true, says Sushma Swaraj
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Jammu & Kashmir violence: DIG South Kashmir, SSP Anantnag transferred
- What an idea! Harbhajan Singh offers Windies bowlers full-proof plan to stop Virat Kohli
- Three Kosovans among dead in Munich shooting: Ministry
- Bangladeshi national held near international border in Jammu
- New 'talk therapy' cheap, effective for treating depression