Poor students fees being refunded in Malda
Kolkata: After the intervention of the National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR), poor students in Malda district are now having their fees refunded under the Right to Education Act which guarantees free education for children.
Under the Sarva Siksha Mission, all school authorities in the district have been directed to immediately refund the fees collected from children who could not lodge a complaint, said NCPCR member Vinod Kumar Tikoo.
A total of eight students from three schools in the
district have already been refunded Rs 1105, collected from
them during the last academic session in violation of section
3 of the Act, he said.
According to a compliance report received by the
commission from the district administration, all students who
have not complained but had to pay fees after 1.4.2010 will be
"An FIR has also been lodged against the secretary of
Popra Ishwarlal High School on the charge of extracting
money from newcomers lodged in an Ashram hostel. The school
management committee has been suspended," the NCPCR member
Steps have also been taken to stop admission test,
which is again in violation of section 13 of the RTE Act.
Under the Act, any cost that prevents a child from
accessing schools will be borne by the state which shall have
the responsibility of enrolling the child as well as ensuring
attendance and completion of eight years of elementary
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi