Pranab commands Congress MLAs to attend Assembly sessions
Kolkata: Senior Congress leader Pranab
Mukherjee on Sunday ordered the newly-elected Congress MLAs in
West Bengal to be present in the Assembly during its sessions
and be part of the proceedings.
A parliamentarian of long standing, Mukherjee said there
cannot be anything more important than participation in House
"If you have other important work to do, you can resign
and that you can do here now. This is not my request, but my
command. You have to participate in Assembly proceedings,
otherwise it will be a betrayal of the people who voted for
us", he told a gathering of 42 Congress MLAs.
He reminded them that it was not that they have to speak
on every issue, but be useful in several other ways. "There
are call attentions, mentions and you can even interject if a
minister says something wrong by raising a `point of order`.
The Union minister said he would take a class of the new
members before the Assembly session begins to help them
understand the proceedings and their rights and duties.
"Many bright professionals have come, I extend my best
wishes to them," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Came to Mumbai from Pakistan to select 26/11 attack sites, David Headley tells Mumbai court
- 'Afzal Guru amar rahe', 'Kashmir lekar rahenge' slogans raised at Press Club of India
- Virat Kohli: Amid break-up rumors, cricketer spends time with most beautiful woman