Pranab conducts Durga puja at ancestral village
Miriti: Union Finance Minister Pranab
Mukherjee on Monday stepped into the role of a priest to conduct
traditional rituals of `Mahasaptami`, the first day of Durga
puja, at his ancestral house in Miriti village of Birbhum
"This is a much-awaited occasion in my life and I eagerly
wait throughout the year to be at our ancestral house these
four days," the 77-year-old Congress leader told reporters at
the end of the day`s puja.
Family sources said the Union minister`s grandfather
Jangaleswar Mukherjee had introduced Durga puja, which entered
its 117th year, at the Miriti house.
"I hardly missed the opportunity to be at Miriti to
attend the puja, except in 1995 when I represented India at UN
General Assembly and two or three times due to political
reasons," he said.
Security measures were in place at the ancestral house of
the Mukherjees and metal detectors put up at the main
Reaching the Miriti house this morning from his elder
sister`s house at Kirnahar, three km from here, Mukherjee,
accompanied by his son Abhijit Mukherjee, Congress MLA,
himself walked upto a canal of Kueye river for the formal
bathing of the `Kalabou` to mark the formal beginning of the
4-day Durga puja.
Back to the mandap, Mukherjee, wearing dhoti and
anagavastram, carried out various rituals. True to the family
tradition, the puja was simple and bereft of any grandeur.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory