Pranab off to ancestral home to perform Durga Puja
Kolkata: Far from the rough and tumble of politics, Union Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee on Sunday left for his ancestral home at Miriti in Birbhum district of West
Bengal to perform Durga Puja as he has been doing every year.
"I extend puja greetings (Saradiyar Subhecchha) to all
people and wish them well," a relaxed Mukherjee said while
leaving for his ancestral home with his wife.
Mukherjee, who makes it a point to be at Miriti village
every year to take part in the four-day rituals, said the
puja has a `social dimension` too.
"I want to avail of this opportunity to be with the people
of my area. During the pujas, I get a chance to meet them and
interact with them," he said.
The 117-year old puja, marked by its traditionality sans
pomp, was started by Mukherjee`s grandfather Jangaleswar
Mukherjee`s MLA son Abhijit, who also plays an active part
in the festivities, looks after the arrangements during the
The Union Minister arrived here from Delhi last evening
and is likely to return to the national capital after the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people