Pranab off to ancestral home to perform Durga Puja
Kolkata: Far from the rough and tumble of politics, Union Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee on Sunday left for his ancestral home at Miriti in Birbhum district of West
Bengal to perform Durga Puja as he has been doing every year.
"I extend puja greetings (Saradiyar Subhecchha) to all
people and wish them well," a relaxed Mukherjee said while
leaving for his ancestral home with his wife.
Mukherjee, who makes it a point to be at Miriti village
every year to take part in the four-day rituals, said the
puja has a `social dimension` too.
"I want to avail of this opportunity to be with the people
of my area. During the pujas, I get a chance to meet them and
interact with them," he said.
The 117-year old puja, marked by its traditionality sans
pomp, was started by Mukherjee`s grandfather Jangaleswar
Mukherjee`s MLA son Abhijit, who also plays an active part
in the festivities, looks after the arrangements during the
The Union Minister arrived here from Delhi last evening
and is likely to return to the national capital after the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional