Pranab releases books at Kolkata Press Club
Kolkata: Union Finance Minister Pranab
Mukherjee today released two books -- Anthology of Selected
Stories in English and `Nirbachito Sankalon` (Selected
Collection) in Bengali - at the Kolkata Press Club.
"This is the first press club of the sub-continent and
all Prime Ministers of the country have come to this Press
Club either before or after assuming office," Mukherjee said
on the occasion.
The minister said the books are documents of history
which should be preserved properly and requested the club
authority to publish such books more often.
The books are a collection of articles published in the
Press Club annual magazine since 1969.
"Though the Press Club was established on July 22 in
1945, the articles published between 1945 and 1968 couldn`t be
preserved due to lack of modern facilities," club`s general
secretary, Kazi Golam Gous Siddiqui, said.
The Finance Minister also assured the club of funding
for construction of a building of its own.
He also promised to explore all possibilities of
extending Central Government Health Scheme to working
journalists of the city.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj