Pranab requests Bengal Governor to ensure peace
Kolkata: Union Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee on Sunday met West Bengal Governor MK Narayanan and requested him to ensure peace in the state after declaration of the Assembly election results.
"The state is going through a difficult position after the results have been announced. I requested the Governor to play his constitutional role and ensure peace in the state," Mukherjee said at the Congress state headquarters here during
a meeting with the newly elected Congress MLAs.
Mukherjee also urged police and administrative heads to play a `totally neutral role` in upholding law and order in the state.
With the Left Front having lost after 34 years of rule, outgoing chief minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee has tendered his resignation and the new dispensation led by Mamata Banerjee is likely to take oath next week.
Some political clashes have been reported from some parts of the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users