Pranab requests Bengal Governor to ensure peace
Kolkata: Union Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee on Sunday met West Bengal Governor MK Narayanan and requested him to ensure peace in the state after declaration of the Assembly election results.
"The state is going through a difficult position after the results have been announced. I requested the Governor to play his constitutional role and ensure peace in the state," Mukherjee said at the Congress state headquarters here during
a meeting with the newly elected Congress MLAs.
Mukherjee also urged police and administrative heads to play a `totally neutral role` in upholding law and order in the state.
With the Left Front having lost after 34 years of rule, outgoing chief minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee has tendered his resignation and the new dispensation led by Mamata Banerjee is likely to take oath next week.
Some political clashes have been reported from some parts of the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- DDA's next housing scheme could be completely online
- Now tune into popular FM radio stations on trains with Rail Radio Service
- MCI could be dead; new body may nurse medical education in India
- G20 nations warn of Brexit risk to global growth
- Flood threat: Water level on rise in various rivers in Bihar; Kosi, Bagmati flow above danger mark