Pranab visits ancestral village last time as FM
Miriti (WB): Pranab Mukherjee, who seems headed towards the Rashtrapati Bhavan, today turned nostalgic at his ancestral house here in Birbhum district, saying a chapter in his four-decade-old political career has ended after his nomination as UPA`s presidential candidate.
"I was directly involved in politics for a long period. My 40 year political career is at an end," said 77-year-old Mukherjee who was made Finance Minister after UPA-II came to power in May 2009 and held the portfolios of Defence and External Affairs in UPA-I.
"I am overwhelmed by the reception I have received here. I have been born here. I studied here. I am basically a village boy. Whenever I found time I would visit my village," Mukherjee said after taking the salute at a guard of honour by the police.
"Before beginning a new chapter in my life, I wanted to visit my village," Mukherjee, who worships Goddess Durga at his ancestral home each year, said as villagers showered petals and blew conch shells.
He took the blessings of the goddess at the temple in the courtyard of his house. The temple is being renovated. He took the blessings from the bamboo and straw structure that will be fashioned into the goddess.
Thousands of people lined up on both sides of the road leading to Miriti, while tribal women danced to the beat of drums and bands played to greet Mukherjee on his last visit to his village as union Finance Minister.
Welcome arches were erected at many places like Dankuni, Burdwan and Bolpur put up by the Pradesh Congress.
The convoy stopped at many places on the 187-km journey by road from Kolkata with Mukherjee alighting briefly to greet people with folded hands.
"I seek your blessings. Bless me," a tireless Mukherjee, who had arrived in Kolkata from Delhi yesterday, said again and again.
Mukherjee also drove to Kirnahar village, three km from Miriti, to his elder sister Annapurna Devi`s home to seek her blessings. Mukherjee is six years junior to her.
WBPCC president Pradip Bhattacharya, party leader Asit Mal, MLA and Mukherjee`s son Abhijit accompanied him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you