Pranab visits ancestral village last time as FM
Miriti (WB): Pranab Mukherjee, who seems headed towards the Rashtrapati Bhavan, today turned nostalgic at his ancestral house here in Birbhum district, saying a chapter in his four-decade-old political career has ended after his nomination as UPA`s presidential candidate.
"I was directly involved in politics for a long period. My 40 year political career is at an end," said 77-year-old Mukherjee who was made Finance Minister after UPA-II came to power in May 2009 and held the portfolios of Defence and External Affairs in UPA-I.
"I am overwhelmed by the reception I have received here. I have been born here. I studied here. I am basically a village boy. Whenever I found time I would visit my village," Mukherjee said after taking the salute at a guard of honour by the police.
"Before beginning a new chapter in my life, I wanted to visit my village," Mukherjee, who worships Goddess Durga at his ancestral home each year, said as villagers showered petals and blew conch shells.
He took the blessings of the goddess at the temple in the courtyard of his house. The temple is being renovated. He took the blessings from the bamboo and straw structure that will be fashioned into the goddess.
Thousands of people lined up on both sides of the road leading to Miriti, while tribal women danced to the beat of drums and bands played to greet Mukherjee on his last visit to his village as union Finance Minister.
Welcome arches were erected at many places like Dankuni, Burdwan and Bolpur put up by the Pradesh Congress.
The convoy stopped at many places on the 187-km journey by road from Kolkata with Mukherjee alighting briefly to greet people with folded hands.
"I seek your blessings. Bless me," a tireless Mukherjee, who had arrived in Kolkata from Delhi yesterday, said again and again.
Mukherjee also drove to Kirnahar village, three km from Miriti, to his elder sister Annapurna Devi`s home to seek her blessings. Mukherjee is six years junior to her.
WBPCC president Pradip Bhattacharya, party leader Asit Mal, MLA and Mukherjee`s son Abhijit accompanied him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH