Pranab`s son Cong candidate in LS bypoll in WB
New Delhi: Abhijit Mukherjee, son of President Pranab Mukherjee, was on Friday chosen by Congress as its candidate for the by-election for Jangipur Lok Sabha seat vacated by his father.
52-year-old Abhijit is a party MLA from Nalhati constituency in Birbhum district of West Bengal.
Jangipur seat fell vacant after Pranab Mukherjee became President. He had represented the seat since 2004. The AICC announcement came on a day when the President is on a visit to his home state.
"Congress President Sonia Gandhi has approved the proposal for the candidature of Abhijit Mukherjee for the by-election to the Lok Sabha from Jangipur Parliamentary constituency, " a release by AICC general secretary Oscar Fernandes said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkish military promotes 99 colonels in shake-up, top brass little changed
- Bank strike hits operations; branches open full day tomorrow
- Here's how Harbhajan Singh's cricket buddies wished him on becoming a father
- India should double coverage of HBV vaccine at birth: WHO
- Swathi murder case: Chennai Police gets one-day custody of Ramkumar to recreate crime scene