Pranab`s son Cong candidate in LS bypoll in WB
New Delhi: Abhijit Mukherjee, son of President Pranab Mukherjee, was on Friday chosen by Congress as its candidate for the by-election for Jangipur Lok Sabha seat vacated by his father.
52-year-old Abhijit is a party MLA from Nalhati constituency in Birbhum district of West Bengal.
Jangipur seat fell vacant after Pranab Mukherjee became President. He had represented the seat since 2004. The AICC announcement came on a day when the President is on a visit to his home state.
"Congress President Sonia Gandhi has approved the proposal for the candidature of Abhijit Mukherjee for the by-election to the Lok Sabha from Jangipur Parliamentary constituency, " a release by AICC general secretary Oscar Fernandes said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Maharajganj
- Are educational institutions becoming a tool to showcase anti-national agendas?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- DNA: Post demonetisation, India records 7% GDP growth rate in Q3
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- No AC, mattress for Sasikala in prison, confirms DIG; may not be shifted to Chennai jail
- Gurmehar-ABVP ruckus: Virender Sehwag represents BCCI not India, says Umar Khalid