Pranab`s son joins Congress
Kolkata: Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee`s son Abhijeet Mukherjee was Monday inducted into the Congress party.
Speaking on the occasion, Abhijeet told media persons: "I became a Congress member today and now I am, as in the words of (Congress general secretary) Rahul Gandhi, a servant of the common man."
"As is usual in an Indian family, I sought the permission of my father. He said the decision is yours. You have my blessings. After giving it a lot of thought, I decided to take the plunge," said Abhijeet, who was working in the Steel Authority of India (SAIL) as a general manager but quit a few days back.
He said he will start working to serve people in his home district of Birbhum.
On being the son of a famous father, Abhijeet quipped: "Having a famous father has its disadvantages as well as advantages. Would you all have assembled here had anybody else been here instead of me?"
He is likely to be fielded as a Congress candidte from Birbhum`s Nalhati constituency in the April-May West Bengal assembly polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok