Pranab`s son joins Congress
Kolkata: Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee`s son Abhijeet Mukherjee was Monday inducted into the Congress party.
Speaking on the occasion, Abhijeet told media persons: "I became a Congress member today and now I am, as in the words of (Congress general secretary) Rahul Gandhi, a servant of the common man."
"As is usual in an Indian family, I sought the permission of my father. He said the decision is yours. You have my blessings. After giving it a lot of thought, I decided to take the plunge," said Abhijeet, who was working in the Steel Authority of India (SAIL) as a general manager but quit a few days back.
He said he will start working to serve people in his home district of Birbhum.
On being the son of a famous father, Abhijeet quipped: "Having a famous father has its disadvantages as well as advantages. Would you all have assembled here had anybody else been here instead of me?"
He is likely to be fielded as a Congress candidte from Birbhum`s Nalhati constituency in the April-May West Bengal assembly polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what
- MP student proposes Congress VP Rahul Gandhi's name to Guinness Book for losing maximum elections