Presidency VC appeals to CM for serious probe into vandalism
Kolkata: Vice-chancellor of Presidency University on Thursday said she would write to the Governor about yesterday`s vandalism of various departments, and appealed to Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee to ensure that a serious probe was conducted to identify the attackers.
"Presidency University is not like any other educational institution. What happened yesterday was shocking. I will write (to Governor) that the attackers carried TMC flags and how they ransacked and vandalised various departments of the university," Malabika Sarkar said.
"It is my responsibility. I will seek his advice. I had also apprised the Governor`s office of the violence yesterday," she said.
Sarkar claimed that police stood by when students were beaten up and girl students abused.
"When we asked them to act, they said they had no order. Then why were they there? Have they come as tourists? I talked to senior police officers and they assured of full protection".
She said she would join the students in their protest against the incident.
"The students are demanding that such violent incidents in the university campus should not be repeated and peace and academic atmosphere should prevail. I find these are justified and for that I will join them," she said.
She said she had also told higher education minister Bratya Basu about the violence.
Noted litterateur Mahasweta Devi also criticised the incident, saying "it is very unfortunate and this only impairs the state`s image."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- LIVE Cricket Score, IND vs NZ, 3rd ODI: Kohli-Dhoni stand keeps India in hunt
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border
- Samajwadi Party feud LIVE: After his sacking, Ramgopal Yadav writes to Mulayam, says 'you're surrounded by evil forces'
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes