President arrives at Mirati to worship family deity
Suri (WB): President Pranab Mukherjee arrived on Saturday at his ancestral home at Mirati for worshipping the family deity, Devi Durga, in West Bengal`s Birbhum district.
The President flew to Kirnahar, 240km from Kolkata, in a helicopter with his wife Subhra and spent around 20 minutes with his elder sister Annapurna Banerjee.
From Kirnahar, he drove the three kilometre distance to his ancestral house at Mirati where he would worship Durga as a priest from tomorrow.
The media were not allowed beyond the gate of Mukherjee`s residence.
The President emerged later in the evening and said he would pray for the welfare of the people of the country during the puja.
Mukherjee said he would follow all the traditions that he has followed every year during the puja.
Earlier, in Kolkata he met Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee at the VIP lounge of Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International Airport after arriving from Delhi by a special aircraft of the Indian Air Force.
The President was received by Governor M K Narayanan, the chief minister and high officials.
He will leave for Delhi on October 23.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Sheena Bora murder: DNA sample to reveal the truth
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Sheena murder case: Villager helps locate spot where body was buried