President arrives at Mirati to worship family deity
Suri (WB): President Pranab Mukherjee arrived on Saturday at his ancestral home at Mirati for worshipping the family deity, Devi Durga, in West Bengal`s Birbhum district.
The President flew to Kirnahar, 240km from Kolkata, in a helicopter with his wife Subhra and spent around 20 minutes with his elder sister Annapurna Banerjee.
From Kirnahar, he drove the three kilometre distance to his ancestral house at Mirati where he would worship Durga as a priest from tomorrow.
The media were not allowed beyond the gate of Mukherjee`s residence.
The President emerged later in the evening and said he would pray for the welfare of the people of the country during the puja.
Mukherjee said he would follow all the traditions that he has followed every year during the puja.
Earlier, in Kolkata he met Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee at the VIP lounge of Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International Airport after arriving from Delhi by a special aircraft of the Indian Air Force.
The President was received by Governor M K Narayanan, the chief minister and high officials.
He will leave for Delhi on October 23.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- VIDEO: When helicopter shot came to haunt Team India and skipper MS Dhoni himself