President worships Durga at ancestral residence
Miriti: President Pranab Mukherjee on Sunday worshipped his family deity, Goddess Durga, at his ancestral home here in West Bengal`s Birbhum district.
Mukherjee, clad in dhoti and kurta, arrived with wife Suvra at his Miriti residence from his elder sister Annapurna Banerjee`s home at Kirnahar, 3 km away, at around 8:30 this morning.
The `kalabou` was then taken out in a procession for a ritual bath, with Mukherjee, unlike in previous years of accompanying it to the canal, only walking up to the gate of the house.
The `kalabou` was thereafter taken by the President`s son, Abhijit, to the canal.
Mukherjee, as in previous years, chanted the `chandipath`, but in an enclosure inside the temple, in a departure from past years when he was fully visible.
The Saptami puja ended with the `arati` at around 1:40 PM.
During the `aarti`, Mukherjee came to the temple with a silk chaddar draped around his shoulders.
There was no restriction on villagers thronging the compound of the house, but passes were required for entering the temple and the house.
The lunch, which the Mukherjees provide for around 3,000 people, was also hosted as in other years in the backyard, but the guests were not allowed to go through the house and had to take a detour to reach the area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family