President’s son Abhijit Mukherjee wins Jangipur Lok Sabha by-poll
Berhampore (WB): Abjijit Mukherjee, son of President Pranab Mukherjee and Congress candidate, on Saturday won the Jangipur Lok Sabha by-election by 2,536 votes defeating his nearest CPI-M rival Muzaffar Hussain.
Abhijit polled 3,32,919 votes, while the CPI-M candidate bagged 3,30,383 votes, Election Commission sources said.
BJP candidate, Sudhangshu Biswas, who came third, received 85,867 votes.Two independent candidates Raisuddin and Tahedul Islam polled 41,620 and 24,691 votes respectively.
Trinamool Congress did not put up candidate in the by-poll even after severing ties with Congress.
Pranab Mukherjee had won the seat by a huge margin of over 1.28 lakh votes in the 2009 Lok Sabha election.
The by-election was held on October 10 as the seat had fallen vacant after Pranab Mukherjee was elevated to the highest office of the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice