Pressurised for marriage, 13-year-old commits suicide
Malda (WB): Unable to bear pressure from her parents to get married, a 13-year-old girl allegedly committed suicide by drinking pesticide at Kaliachak in Malda district, police said on Sunday.
Firoza Khatun, a class V student and daughter of a poor labourer Akhtar Sheikh, died after drinking pesticide yesterday at Mojampur village.
Her uncle Bhadu Sheikh said Firoza parents had fixed her marriage but she was unwilling to tie the knot.
"She quarrelled with her father yesterday when he pressed her to get married. She was unwilling and drank poison later," Bhadu Sheikh told the police.
Firoza has two sisters and one brother. Her elder sister Sami was married off at the age of 14 last year, sources said.
Many minor girls of her age in the district are forced to drop out of schools to marry as their parents are too poor to feed them, the police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials