Pressurised for marriage, 13-year-old commits suicide
Malda (WB): Unable to bear pressure from her parents to get married, a 13-year-old girl allegedly committed suicide by drinking pesticide at Kaliachak in Malda district, police said on Sunday.
Firoza Khatun, a class V student and daughter of a poor labourer Akhtar Sheikh, died after drinking pesticide yesterday at Mojampur village.
Her uncle Bhadu Sheikh said Firoza parents had fixed her marriage but she was unwilling to tie the knot.
"She quarrelled with her father yesterday when he pressed her to get married. She was unwilling and drank poison later," Bhadu Sheikh told the police.
Firoza has two sisters and one brother. Her elder sister Sami was married off at the age of 14 last year, sources said.
Many minor girls of her age in the district are forced to drop out of schools to marry as their parents are too poor to feed them, the police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India