Prez assent to GTA Bill within some days: Mamata
Darjeeling: West Bengal Chief Minister
Mamata Banerjee Wednesday said that presidential assent to the Gorkhaland Territorial Administration Bill in Darjeeling hills
was expected to be signed within a few days.
"The Bill is expected to receive presidential assent
within a few days," she said at a meeting here with Gorkha
Janmukti Morcha President Bimal Gurung and other leaders.
She said that during her recent visit to Delhi she took
up the issue of the tripartite agreement with Prime Minister
Banerjee said that she told him that the state government
had done whatever was necessary and urged him to ensure the
agreement was implemented at an early date as there has
already been a month`s delay.
"GTA will be a reality. What I have promised, I will
keep. Once the Bill gets presidential assent there will be
election to GTA," she said.
"The Centre, state government and the GTA will work
together to ensure development in the Darjeeling hills,
neglected in the past 34 years of Left Front rule."
She claimed that there was heartburn in the CPI-M as
peace had returned to the hills after a long time. "If there
is peace in the hills, there will be peace in the plains also.
"I am asking them not to stoke fire. Do not try to create
a division between people living in the hills and the plains."
She alleged that the CPI(M) had not only not done
anything for the state, but for Darjeeling as well.
"I have come to Darjeeling six times in nine months. I
will come again. Darjeeling is not only our dream, but also of
The state government planned to turn Darjeeling and the
adjoining Dooars and Terai into Switzerland, she said, adding
that Rs 100 crore had been sanctioned for north Bengal tourism
GJM had given an ultimatum to the Centre saying it would
revive its statehood agitation if the GTA Bill was not signed
by March 27.
"We will burn copies of the tripartite agreement
between the GJM, state government and the Centre if the
Gorkhaland Territorial Administration is no implemented by
March 27," Harka Bhadur Chetri, a leader of the hill-based
party, told reporters here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why